Rules Discussions

War rages across the Galaxy. Both the brutal Galactic Empire and the desperate Rebel Alliance reel in the face of terrible losses. A tabletop RPG campaign set after the Battle of Yavin. Star Wars: Edge of the Empire (Fantasy Flight Games)

Moderator: Bigby

Bigby
New Face

Rules Discussions

Post by Bigby » 20 Nov 2018, 21:25

There is where we will post house rules, clarifications and FAQs

Bigby
New Face

Player Driven Scenes

Post by Bigby » 20 Nov 2018, 21:29

At any point during the game anyone can propose a scene that they would like to see played out. If everyone agrees then it is played out like normal.
The hope is this will lead to more opportunities for meaningful roleplaying by drawing upon everyone’s creative juices.
It is probably worth everyone thinking about scenes that they would like to see played during the upcoming session.
(Extended cut below for more guidance)
Inspired by Hillfolk.

Bigby
New Face

Recovering Strain

Post by Bigby » 20 Nov 2018, 21:31

As a clarification player proposed scenes count as encounters. The rules allow characters to recover strain at the end of an encounter using a dice roll.
Inspired by Lady Blackbird.

Bigby
New Face

The Oscar for Best Session Goes To…

Post by Bigby » 20 Nov 2018, 21:31

I don’t like individual XP awards. And I don’t want anyone to lose out on the 5 XP in the rules for players playing character’s motivations. So if we have all had a good time and there has been plenty of dramatic scenes (where character information, relationships or bonds are revealed or changed) then we can award ourselves a group “awesome session” award of 5 XP to all characters.

Bigby
New Face

Interesting Scene Awards

Post by Bigby » 20 Nov 2018, 21:32

Particularly good scenes may grant boost/bonus dice in following scenes or flip destiny points.

Bigby
New Face

Listen and Ask Questions

Post by Bigby » 20 Nov 2018, 21:32

When something happens to a character I am going to ask you think should happen. Anyone is welcome to chip in. We’ll take the best idea and go with that. This gives players a chance to come up with creative and interesting reasons for “failures” and “disadvantages/threats”. Hopefully we can avoid the traditional boring and unwelcome “the character is crap” reason. It also gives everyone a chance to weave in narrative elements that they want to explore as a result of a failure that may not have occurred to me.
Inspired by Lady Blackbird / Houses of the Blooded.

Bigby
New Face

Out-of-Character Chat

Post by Bigby » 20 Nov 2018, 21:33

A little out-of-character chat during scenes is fine. Too much drains the scene of momentum, drama and tension. A good wisecrack or comment is all part of the fun and often makes a session. I’m not proposing we stop that. If anyone feels there is too much out-of-character chat going on then they can shout out. I’ll probably be as tactful and say something like “Everyone shut up and get into character!”.

Bigby
New Face

In-Character Chat in Timed Scenes

In scenes where time is a factor (chases or combat for example) then the rules apply regarding in-character communication. It costs a manoeuvre. Extended discussions will need another manoeuvre. This might cost the character their action or cost strain at the players discretion. Worth calling out.

Bigby
New Face

Player Attention

Even if your character is not involved in a scene or the action, let’s all pay attention. We are all trying a couple of new things here to encourage more interesting and meaningful roleplaying.
Besides your character may be called upon to enter the scene or action at any time. Or there might be a golden opportunity for your character to get involved that gets missed.
And the onus is on players in a scene to make it interesting for everyone around the table. This is not a private show.

Bigby
New Face

Narrative Actions

Post by Bigby » 20 Nov 2018, 21:34

I am proposing that we narrate actions in-character rather than simply spelling out what they are doing out-of-character. So instead of “I am going to spend a manoeuvre to draw my pistol, another to aim for a boost dice and shoot the Stormtrooper with my blaster.” say “I draw my pistol from its holster and raise it towards the nearest Stormtrooper. I can’t afford to miss this shot. I ignore the blaster fire flying around me, take a deep breath and squeeze the trigger hoping to blow him away in one shot.”
Inspired by DungeonWorld.

Bigby
New Face

Helping Others

Post by Bigby » 20 Nov 2018, 21:34

Happy for everyone to help others when they need it or ask for it. Let’s try and avoid the temptation that strays into imposing on others. I’m as guilty of this as anyone. Crowding around a dice roll telling people what they got or telling them they don’t want to do that, they want to do it like this.

Bigby
New Face

Leaving the Table

Post by Bigby » 20 Nov 2018, 21:35

When one person leaves the table (for whatever reason) I will pause the game until they return. I don’t want anyone missing anything. This is a good time for everyone to deal with anything that might interrupt the game.

Bigby
New Face

Player Driven Scenes – The Extended Cut

Post by Bigby » 20 Nov 2018, 21:35

I wanted to keep the original short and to the point. This is just expanding foam that fills in the cracks.
The proposing player chooses the scope of the scene and the players to be involved.
Scenes can be proposed even in the middle of a combat (just imagine TV shows where the characters are hunkered down behind cover and exchange a few words). At the end of a scene I will give everyone an opportunity to propose follow on scenes. If there are multiple players who want to propose scenes at the same time then the person who has had the longest since they proposed a scene will go next.
The proposing player chooses the scope of the scene. It’s what the player wants to see happen next in the game. If the player feels there hasn’t been enough space combat in the game, then they can propose a space encounter. If a player wants to reveal more about a relationship with another character, then they can propose a scene that explores that relationship. Scenes are also not bound to the present, they can be flashbacks.
The proposing player chooses the players to be involved in the scene. This can include non-players characters and does not have to include their own character.
The group agrees the proposed scene, proposing modifications and debating as necessary until everyone is agreed. If not, then the scene doesn’t happen. The scene can always be revived at a different time when it might find more fertile ground.
During a scene, other players may propose that other characters become involved. Assuming everyone is ok with that then the new character arrives. Maybe at an inopportune moment. This is probably done “in-character”. Interruptions should be handled with care to ensure good roleplaying is not disrupted or that the scene is not ruined.
Once things become familiar the formality of proposing and agreeing scene should become seamless, happen quickly without thought to the process and hopefully done “in-character”.
The game has a lot of sources of inspiration even from the outset; obligations, motivations, aspects/keys, bonds, dramatic poles, relationships and past sessions.

rossi720
New Face

Re: In-Character Chat in Timed Scenes

Post by rossi720 » 27 Nov 2018, 18:54

Bigby wrote:In scenes where time is a factor (chases or combat for example) then the rules apply regarding in-character communication. It costs a manoeuvre. Extended discussions will need another manoeuvre. This might cost the character their action or cost strain at the players discretion. Worth calling out.
Actually, I just came upon the rules for this and "Speaking to another character" is explicitly defined as an 'Incidental'.
EotE core p199 and F&D core p205 wrote:"Incidentals are minor activities characters can undertake that require extremely little time or effort. Dropping a broken comlink, speaking to a friend, or switching a blaster pistol to Stun mode are all incidentals. There is no hard limit to the number of incidentals a character may perform during his turn, although the GM may veto excessive numbers of them or decide they are complex enough to warrant counting as a manuever. The following are examples of incidentals:
  • Speaking to another character.
  • Dropping an item held in one's hands.
  • Releasing someone the character is holding.
  • Minor movements such as shifting position, peeking around a corner, or looking behind a person."
Personally I think this makes more sense than counting any amount of speech as a maneuver, because that's basically saying "the mechanics penalise you for saying even pithy one-liners in a fight scene" imo, which I don't think particularly encourages roleplaying, though I can understand not thinking it reasonable to fit full conversations into a single incidental.

Bigby
New Face

Re: In-Character Chat in Timed Scenes

Post by Bigby » 01 Dec 2018, 11:35

rossi720 wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 18:54
Bigby wrote:In scenes where time is a factor (chases or combat for example) then the rules apply regarding in-character communication. It costs a manoeuvre. Extended discussions will need another manoeuvre. This might cost the character their action or cost strain at the players discretion. Worth calling out.
Actually, I just came upon the rules for this and "Speaking to another character" is explicitly defined as an 'Incidental'.
EotE core p199 and F&D core p205 wrote:"Incidentals are minor activities characters can undertake that require extremely little time or effort. Dropping a broken comlink, speaking to a friend, or switching a blaster pistol to Stun mode are all incidentals. There is no hard limit to the number of incidentals a character may perform during his turn, although the GM may veto excessive numbers of them or decide they are complex enough to warrant counting as a manuever. The following are examples of incidentals:
  • Speaking to another character.
  • Dropping an item held in one's hands.
  • Releasing someone the character is holding.
  • Minor movements such as shifting position, peeking around a corner, or looking behind a person."
Personally I think this makes more sense than counting any amount of speech as a maneuver, because that's basically saying "the mechanics penalise you for saying even pithy one-liners in a fight scene" imo, which I don't think particularly encourages roleplaying, though I can understand not thinking it reasonable to fit full conversations into a single incidental.
I agree and it is worth clarifying as there are a range of "speaking" options that fit each category.

On p.200 EoE it says under "Maneuver Limitations", "The following are some examples of actions: ... Instructing allies with a series of orders.".

So speaking to a character is an incidental, discussing something with a character is a maneuver and an extended conversation is an action.

Bigby
New Face

Limitations on Spending Advantage

Post by Bigby » 15 Dec 2018, 20:55

Q. When spending advantage and threat, can the same effect from table 6-2 or 6-3 be triggered more than once?
A. With the exception of the generic recovering and suffering strain item, the effects on table 6-2 and 6-3 are intended to be used only once each on a given check. The GM may, of course, ignore this restriction if it suits the narrative, or use advantage and threat for effects that do not appear on table 6-2 or 6-3.