FFA

A group of modern day convicts are revived in the year 2043 to find they've been used as test subjects by the XCOM Project, in a failed attempt to thwart an alien invasion. A tabletop RPG campaign inspired by the X-COM/XCOM computer games. Savage Worlds (Pinnacle Entertainment Group)

Moderator: nemarsde

nemarsde
Regular

FFA

Post by nemarsde »

Discuss the game, Savage Worlds, XCOM, your characters, and anything related that you want to be web accessible to everyone.
nemarsde
Regular

Seasoned

Post by nemarsde »

In session 2, the PCs rescued/kidnapped Dr Valen, and fled to an XCOM "black site" in the Great Dismal Swamp. There they were able to reassemble most of the Gene Lab, and stabilised their condition with a dose of Meld, a highly adaptive nanite substance of alien origin.

They jumped from Novice to Seasoned, gaining four Advances. Here's what you chose, along with the GM alternatives.

Bigby (Santiago)
Agility to d10
Fighting to d10, Shooting to d10
Martial Artist
Stealth at d4 [GM recommends Counterattack, for a free attack whenever an opponent rolls under his Parry. This synergises perfectly with his increased Fighting and Martial Artist. Allows him to cut through Extras in half the time.]

Gypsy (Piper)
Agility to d6
Knowledge: Computers to d12
Stealth at d4 [GM recommends Fighting at d4. Stealth is non-essential for Piper, imo, and she's never had to be stealthy, except in cyberspace. She will have been through some rough stuff though.]
Stealth to d6, Investigation to d8 [GM recommends Fighting to d6, Investigation to d8. As above.]

Pchan (Milton)
Spirit to d10 [GM recommends Smarts to d8. Milton is the gang's all-rounder, increasing Smarts allows cheaper increase of his Smarts skills.]
Elan
Intimidation to d8, Persuasion to d10 [GM recommends Taunt to d8, Healing to d8. And he already has +2 to Intimidation and Persuasion from his Charisma.]
Strong Willed [GM recommends Combat Reflexes for a +2 to Recovery from Shaken. He's led an African bush war from the front, I think it's important not to forget this.]

Rossi720 (Ryan)
Agility to d10
Fighting to d6, Shooting to d8 [GM recommends Fighting to d6, Drive to d10. See below.]
Fighting to d8, Drive to d10 [GM recommends Luck. Ryan's resurrected. You don't get a luckier break than that. Also, as the gang's driver, he's going to be the benny-burner.]
Acrobat [GM recommends Great Luck. See above. Bennies are always useful.]

SteveH (Conner)
Smarts to d8 [GM recommends Notice to d8. Conner is already above average intelligence with Smarts at d6, and the only benefit of higher Smarts would be cheaper increase to Notice. So just increase Notice, and take the saving.]
Fighting to d8, Notice to d8 [GM recommends Fighting to d8, Stealth to d8. Continuing from above.]
Fighting to d10, Stealth to d8 [GM recommends Shooting to d12. Because, see below.]
Frenzy [GM recommends Marksman. This potent Edge gives +2 Aim bonus to Shooting in most situations. Incredibly potent. Use with Double Tap manoeuvre for a +3 bonus, with 3RB for a +4 bonus!!]
nemarsde
Regular

Character Sheet Summaries

Post by nemarsde »

So we're using hand-written character sheets, and there's a good chance they'll be illegible by the end of next session. Most aren't fully up to date either.

To remedy this, I've uploaded an accurate, double-checked summary of each character sheet. Rich text format, so they can be edited in a wide range of apps. Go here and click on your character name.
nemarsde
Regular

State of the art bang-bang

Post by nemarsde »

I never would've expected it, but it looks like the game might involve some combat, maybe a firefight or two; someone might even get hurt.

It's 2043 so we'll need some sci-fi gear statted up, in addition to the more generic stuff in the rule books.

I've made a start
nemarsde
Regular

Character Sheet Summaries Pt 2

Post by nemarsde »

Updated your character sheets. (Rich text format turned out to be rather annoying, since Firefox doesn't have native support, you have to open it in IE, defeating the point. So PDF it is.)
nemarsde
Regular

Bennies

Post by nemarsde »

I want to get this guidance on the board, so there's a chance you might accidentally wonder across it now and then. ;)

Bennies are integral to the Savage Worlds system. Only Wild Cards (PCs and star NPCs) get bennies. There are Edges that run off of bennies. There are fundamental mechanics that run off of bennies (Soak rolls, frex). We also use the "Jokers Wild" rule, which awards a benny with every Joker drawn.

If you don't spend bennies, you hamstring yourself. There's no saving bennies for next session. They reset every session.

Imagine it like duck hunting. The bennies are the shells for your shotgun, the ducks are opportunity targets.

Whenever you see a duck take off, you should consider shooting it. And generally speaking, you should blast it out of the sky, because that's the whole point of duck hunting.

The only time you shouldn't blast that duck is if it's a lame duck. It comes waddling out of the reeds and you think, "I'm not wasting a shell on that thing, it can't even fly!"

But if it's the difference between hitting your foe or not, or damaging your foe or not, spend that benny because that's like Howard the Duck strapping on a jetpack and hovering in front of you, taunting your mother.
Bigby
New Face

Re: FFA

Post by Bigby »

The problem here is that amongst the ducks are tigers. And you never know when one is about to burst out and rip your throat out. Keeping those bennies back for the tigers is why we don't spend them. Look at two sessions ago where I spent 3 bennies just so Santiago could stay in the fight. Sorry man, but those bennies are going to be hoarded for saving his ass. If they end up not being spent at the end of the session then I count my lucky blessings that they were not needed to save his ass.
nemarsde
Regular

Re: FFA

Post by nemarsde »

Michael Jackson's 1982 Billie Jean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi_XLOBDo_Y

2008 Middle Eastern UFO weirdness!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... 6130209001