CD INFO: Job File

From the mean streets of Night City to the mountains of Mars, a tabletop RPG campaign teetering on the brink of the Fourth Corporate War. Cyberpunk 2.0.2.0. (R. Talsorian Games)

Moderator: nemarsde

nemarsde
Regular

CD INFO: Job File

Post by nemarsde »

Series 2, Part 1 - Chasing the Dragon, based on the module by Atlas Games

Originally posted 06 Feb 2004, 20:47

Delivery and collection. Hired by street fixer, Ringo to deliver attache case to Nanotek Industries manufacturing plant in SE Combat Zone. Attache case will be delivered to back door. Team will enter PIN 1819 into keypad, security hatch will open. Team will deposit attache case into hatch, which will then close. Attache case will be returned to team, at which point they contact Ringo and arrange to RV.

Agreed payment is 200,000eb on completion. Date/time for completion is 15 August 2020. 00:00.

Wednesday 12 August 2020. Jin Wei was approached through representative of Golden Heron tong, Mr. Wu Xi. Tong hired by Ringo to source neutral third party (i.e., Chinese) unaligned to any gangs in neighbourhood. Golden Heron takes finder's fee.

Jin Wei assembled team.

Objective: Deliver package into Combat Zone, collect return package and bring to RV point.

Employed on job:

Jin Wei (lead)

HiLyte
Entropy
Mach
Nymph
Tara
nemarsde
Regular

I-Corp

Post by nemarsde »

Ringo was convinced to reveal his employer. Night City based Investor-Corporation, or I-CORP.

The following information is readily available from dataterms and street vendors.

All About Town
By Lady Judith M. Whitsworth, New City Social

It is possible that no single individual has ever received more publicity in the screamsheets than R. Maximillian, handsome CEO of the rapidly expanding conglomerate I-CORP, and perhaps the city's most eligible bachelor. The media follow him around like a pack of basset hounds, sniffing for the latest gossip; who is Maxmillian latest love interest? What socialites have invited him to attend their exclusive function this week? It's hard to keep tabs on Maximillian, as he does not normally allow interviews, claiming as his excuse a busy schedule. Sounds to me like a good enough excuse - in addition to his corporate dealings, he is also active as a philanthropist. It is said that he recently donated a half billion dollars to a variety of charitable causes. If only he gave interviews... ah well, one can still dream.

Blood, Guts, and I-CORP
By W.L. Allen, of World Business Confidential, WNS

One of the top-performing companies in the marketplace appears to be I-CORP, a conglomerate of corporate interests that has posted profits in excess of 5 billion dollars over the last two years. Individuals in the know credit I-CORP CEO, R. Maximillian for the company's phenomenal growth. One of the newbreed of corporate stars, Maximillian has engineered the rapid takeover of a half-dozen corporations, diversified his company's holdings and tripled its operating capital - all within a period of six months. This unprecedented success story is the talk of the business world. Some financial experts are already calling him a genius. Others refer to him as the 2020 equivalent of Ivan Boesky, Donald Trump, and Blackbeard the Pirate, all wrapped into one.

Unfortunately, Maximillian himself was not available for an interview. Yet however you call it, as long as Maximillian is at the helm, I-CORP looks like a solid place to invest your money. And that's the bottomline.

Note: Maximillian is considered one of the new breed of corporate exec. Through carefully manipulating his image in the media, Maximillian has been able to gain the trust and admiration of the investors so that he's become the focus of what they buy into, not the business. Buying into I-CORP is like owning a little bit of Maximillian's celebrity.

R. Maximillian: Corporate Shark
An investigative article by Robin Hall, page 78 of the City Gazette screamsheet*

Maximillian, CEO of I-CORP, rarely appears in public. In fact, he is a noted recluse, who lives in luxury on his own private island (location unknown). On the very rare occasions that Maximillian emerges into the limelight, he is always treated like a VIP, and never goes anywhere without a cadre of bodyguards. The popular view states that Maximillian needs protection from his many admirers. More likely, he needs protection from his enemies, of which he has many. Among them is an employee of I-CORP, who agreed to an interview only after this reporter promised not to reveal their name. According to this source, Maximillian regularly manipulates the media for his own purposes, while threatening his employees with termination if they so much as speak to a reporter. The source implied that much of what is written about Maximillian is sanitized, in order to enhance his image with the general public. Unfortunately, soon after speaking with this reporter, the employee was reassigned to a position in the Far East.

Note: The article sheds suspicion on I-CORP's seemingly limitless capital. According to the financial reports, I-CORP has been able to gather a reserve of venture capital before each hostile takeover bid. The investors providing this venture capital are unknown. So far I-CORP's portfolio contains asset rich corps in a broad range of industries. Neither megacorps or their subsidiaries have been targeted (not that I-CORP could afford them).

Hall's article dismisses the idea of a megacorp as Maximillian's backer, since asset-stripping doesn't generate enough revenue to impact their shares. Hall believes that Maxmillian has a political backer, possibly a Third World dictatorship.

Blood in the Streets
By Lydia Jones, for City Gazette screamsheet*

The Combat Zone has never been a nice place to live, what with the killer rats, drug pushers, and cybered super-criminals. Now it's gotten worse. Two of the street's most viscious gangs, the Mogadishu Razor Boyz and the Klash, have declared war on each other. The rundown neighborhood between 235 and 229 Street, the poorest in the Zone, is their battlefield, and the casualties are beginning to mount. Last week, thirty-nine locals were killed in a nail-bombing, one of them a child, along with two members of the Klash. Yesterday the Klash struck back with a raid on a Somalian refuge. The result: eighty killed, and another dozen locals wounded in the cross-fire. The police, hampered by budget and manpower limitations, seem unwilling to put a stop to this new wave of urban violence.

Note: The Razor Boyz are another gang, comprised of first generation immigrants from Somalia. Back in Mogadishu the gang was actually a militia loyal to one of the local warlords. With the second outbreak of bioplague hitting the Third World in 2012, millions of refugees flooded into the US in search of a cure. The militia arrived and settled amongst the immigrant community in the Combat Zone. They first attempted to gain corporate sponsorship as a mercenary company, but were ignored. During the Metal Wars of 2014, their numbers were decimated and they became just another street gang in the Combat Zone.

The Klash's back story is not so different, except they're comprised of members of an ethnic group called the Kalash. The Kalash have their homeland in NW Pakistan, but they have a strictly animist religion. Surrounded by Islamic fundamentalists, the Kalash were always persecuted. When the Hindoo-Chinese Confederacy was formed in 2016, it immediately declared war on all Muslim nations in the region. Caught between both sides in this war, many of the Kalash escaped to the US. The Klash are a street gang, comprised of young Kalashans, who consider themselves freedom fighters and defenders of their people. (Most of their own people consider them common criminals and low-lifes.)

Combat Zone South-East is the poorest part of the Zone. Locals are mostly illegal immigrants and Third World refugees. No new building development goes on here. The NCPD do not come here. It is all residential. The cheap tract housing is mostly reinforced concrete, falling apart and being eroded by the acid rain. Locals squat in whatever abandoned buildings they can find and have built a rat-run of shanty towns. People tend to stay away from the roads. Not enough cover.

Some corporations have built R&D facilities here, where they don't need planning permission and can't easily be found.

Between 235 and 229 Street is mostly black territory. Going west passed 34 Avenue will take you into Japanese territory. Going north passed 235 Street will take you into Turk, Arab, Middle-Eastern territory. South and east of this neighbourhood is still mostly black African territory, out towards the city limits. South-west is Chinese and South-East Asian territory. The commercial centre of the Combat Zone is about twenty mins drive away by car, heading north-west.

The Jamaican Connection
From an article in the City Gazette* by Darren Manucci

It's summertime, and the drug wars are heating up again in the city. Nowhere is this more evident than in the SE Combat Zone, where Jamaican Yardies have risen to sudden prominence at the expense of the street gangs and the local populace. The Yardies are believed to be involved at all levels; manufacturing, sales, and distribution. Their product is cheap, and eminently available. Mr. Ralph "Aced" Goodman, proprietor of a local Combat Zone nightclub known as the Shooting Gallery, said in a recent interview: "The stuff is all over the Hood. It's kinda like the Sixties all over again, only they got stuff now that they never had before. Legit dealers have all cleared out. Nobody wants to mess with the Jamaicans. They're serious, you know?"

Note: The article mentions that this latest push could be related to the internal power struggle within the Black Webb Gang. After Black Webb was killed in a shootout with Arasaka security forces, the gang almost instantly fragmented.

Although most of his gang were recruited from black street gangs, Black Webb was a Jamaican Yardie himself. With him gone, the Yardies lost most of their uptown connections and have retreated back into the Combat Zone.

The Best Little Whorehouse in the Combat Zone
From an article in City News, FukkyFukky node, by Michale "Ass-to-mouth" Azimuth

Looking for a good time? Looking for a little authentic Third World action on the side? Then why not stop in at Tokyo Rose's, the best little whorehouse in the Combat Zone. Check out the grimy picture windows that line the front of this quaint establishment, and you'll get an idea of what's inside. Chances are, whatever you're into can be found at Tokyo Rose's. Walk in the door you're greeted by Rose herself, a madame with class, looks, and brains. Look around and you'll find patrons from all walks of life: uptown types in three-piece suits, blue collar workers with money to burn, college kids looking for a (fairly) cheap thrill. The employees (as Rose calls her girls, and boys for that matter) are clean, attractive, and controlled. But they sure don't act like it! It's the closest thing you'll get to a genuine Philipino whorehouse and the best thing is; when these hookers steal your wallet, you get it back at the door when you leave! Who needs Indonesia?

Note: The article also mentions Tokyo Rose's four hundred pound Samoan bouncer, Kalolo.

*The City Gazette is a screamsheet that sells hard copies from street vendors as well as from dataterms.

It's a sobering read whose staff writers invariably complain about social degradation, over-population, the living conditions of Night City's disenfranchised and non-citizens.